2.03.2011

Day 24...

You know those days when you have such plans, and the things you plan actually get accomplished...well, that actually happened to me today. Laundry, done. Cookies, made. Dishes, done. Kitchen counter, cleared off, for a few minutes at least. Plus, I actually had steak for breakfast. I don't do that a lot, but just so you know. We raise a steer in our "backyard". The pasture is out behind our house, and for about 9 months a year, "dinner" resides there until our wonderful butcher makes a visit, and then "dinner" visits him before returning home in white packages. I don't know how anyone can afford red meat otherwise. Have you seen the prices for meat in the stores? It is amazing what is being charged. If I were to buy red meat in the stores, I would certainly add at least $30-$40 dollars, twice a month to our grocery bill, and we would be lucky to eat hamburger, and only hamburger. SO, even though I get sticker shock from buying the young steer in the spring, then feeding him grain that supplements the pasture grass, the finally grain and hay once the weather turns, finished up by paying the price of cut and wrap to the butcher, it is nice to have choices in my freezer. I know that this option is not possible for a lot of people, but it is sure nice to be able to have a steak once in a while, and also know where it has come from too...

No comments:

Post a Comment